So last night I heard that the Gameti store carries croissants about once a month. Not Pillsbury croissants, not frozen croissants, but real fresh french croissants. I also heard that there was a food shipment for the store on the plane last night. Naturally I hit up the store first thing this morning. Sure enough there had been a shipment in last night. You could tell cause there was still pop on the shelves and the freezers were full of overpriced TV dinners and icecream. If you looked hard enough you could find 1 virtually empty freezer in the back with a box of frozen berries. I think my preceptor and I are the only ones in town who care about this freezer.
I went through the 3 grocery isles and got my usual potatoes, oats and 1/2 rotten bananas for double the price of any grocery store in the south. With doubtful optimism I asked the young boy behind the counter with an ipod in 1 ear who was eating something that looked suspiciously familiar, if they had an croissants. He looked at me like I was speaking another language. My brief glimmer of hope faded. I said "Oh I just heard you got these pastry like things in sometimes and I thought maybe...." He pointed to the bread shelf. To be honest, I didn't even notice a bread shelf amongst the Mr. Noodles and canned soup. Sure enough the only thing on the shelf that wasn't white Wonder bread was a small plastic bag of croissants from Yellowknife. Sweet success! I bought 1/2 of them and came home to make some milky coffee that I pretended was as good as a latte from Stevoreno's. It's a good morning :))
No comments:
Post a Comment