Monday, March 23, 2009

Whoa! What a day. I started with the usual sick clinic drop in in the morning, but after lunch I was checking the schools cumulative scalp for lice and then back to the clinic for pap tests. Ok, so checking every dry scalp in school is only 30 heads, but still!

The rug rats were on spring break for the last 2 weeks so things in Gameti had been quiet. But when I got home from work (ie. down the hallway) I was swarmed by these 2 little kids in the yard. Being the naive southerner who wants desperately to integrate with the community, I made the mistake of letting them in. I realized after they started going through everything in sight like a pair of ferrets, that I needed to keep an eye on them despite the fact that they weren't even half my size. Some local teenage girls were drawn to the action and came in too.

Finally I was able to kick the boys out. And by that I mean I pushed them out the door hopping with 1 boot on the other toes bare, boot in hand. I locked the door. The girls stayed around long enough to teach me how to say "your underpants stink" in Tlicho and then I had to kick them out too. This is when I found the 2 boys in the front yard eating the Bounty bar I'd just bought from the store. Little shits. I questioned them about it and told them they weren't welcome back in a firm but unperturbed tone. I knew they were just hungry.

Spring break is over. But the trouble has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment