Tuesday, May 5, 2009

4 days and an hour


I'm a bad blogger. My excuses: I got sick, the clinic got busy and I'm counting the days till I'm home.....4 days and an hour till a cold beer will be more than a naughty fantasy! It's been beautiful out too. The highlight of this past weekend was chillin' on the deck, in the sun, drinkin' coffee with Jen, Myles and the dogs; who I so happily exploited by dressing them in my clothes. The snow is evaporating like nothing you'd ever see in Nova Scotia and the sandy roads are dusty already. The lake is still frozen though and the Caribou keep comin in. By that I mean dead, in sleds on the back of snowmobiles. I've seen lots of eagles, snow birds and ravens, but unless you count the wild dogs, that's it for wildlife. Maybe before I leave I will drag my ass out of bed at dawn (5:00 am) and try to find some hooved beauties on the ice.

The weekend before last was probably the most social of weekends since I've been here. Think of the whitest activities you can next to frisbee and that's what was going on during the community carnival. Bingo Friday night and a country music dance Saturday. Yeeeeee ha! There were all sorts of dangerous sounding games during the day too like snowmobile racing, but I couldn't convince anyone to go with me. Strange that.

Another nurse came to Gameti for the weekend too and smuggled some goodies in with her unsuspecting produce. Tres excitant! She joined me and the girls (nurse + teachers - construction workers = white folks in town) for my first game of bingo ever. Wow, 3 hours sitting & dobbing would be a long time if there weren't for some good giggling. Which mostly came from our table every time the number 69 was called..... we even had the elders at the end smiling!


This was the band Saturday night. The hall was empty when we first got there except for a few people sitting at tables and the musicians blaring the out of tune country (as if it really matters with country.) It didn't take long for the kids to find out about the party and make the place feel full running back and forth. There were games too. Jen and I were keeners and joined in most of them. We won the fire race despite our accidental cheating. How do you cheat accidentally you ask?? Well, you have 3 to a team and you have to race across the hall to a pile of fireman (fire persons?) clothes, helmet and boots included, and you have to put them on, run back to your team, undress and your teammates do the same until everyone's had their turn. The first team done wins. The whole game explanation was the usual chaos so no one told us we couldn't help our teammates into the super heavy jackets.... oops. Anyway there was lots of screaming, laughing and yellow clothes flying so we figured we'd been disqualified. Until we got a call to pick up our prize at the community government office on Monday; 30 bucks!! Woot woot! That covers the loses on Bingo :))

So a few days left and I make the long journey back home. Gameti-Yellowknife-Edmonton-Calgary-Toronto-Halifax. I may need to be medicated to get there and I will surely be over stimulated at first (what's a traffic light again?) but I cant wait to see everybody. Soon enough....

No comments:

Post a Comment