So I woke up a few nights ago at 3am and walked downstairs only to be smacked in the face by something I had not seen in a while.. darkness! Like, can't see in front of me darkness. Although a normal experience for you 'southerners' this was the 1st time all summer I've had to turn the lights on in my downstairs kitchen. When we were in Whitehorse, which is a whole separate blog entry, it was so dark that at 4am after the party, we went to a look-off just to admire the dark! Although the twilight had been setting in in Inuvik for the last 2 weeks, it's now getting considerably darker from about 1am-5am. I actually saw some northern lights last night! It was just a small green S shape dancing in the twilight sky but magical none the less.
Of course with the dark comes the cold and I already need mitts when I'm biking home from work in the morning. Apparently fall lasts about a week here and it's the last week in August. Then immediately comes the snow and minus zero temperatures. Although a large part of me, that being the irresponsible part of me, would love to say screw school and stay up here and make money, develop more community and maybe have some fun while I'm at it.. after biking home in the cool arctic air.. I'm excited to be getting back to Toronto, my friends and reasonably priced quality food.
No comments:
Post a Comment