Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bloody Cold

This shot does not do justice to the icy winds we had today. The type of wind that makes your eyelashes freeze together instantly and the hood of your jacket look like the entrance to an igloo, icicles hanging down and all. My camera was too cold to take pictures and my zipper froze shut.

This is the front to my home for the next 9 weeks and is pretty much in the center of the community. After a nice lazy morning/afternoon I finally decided to brave the weather. I put on my standard: thermal running pants, fleece pants and ski pants with my sorels. Then came the thermal MEC sweater, wool doeskin, jacket #1, jacket #2, nose warmer, fleece headband, an incredible fur hat and 2 pairs of warm mits. I was exhausted before I'd even left the house!

I waddled out to see the village of 300 we call Gameti or Rae Lakes in English. It is not a reserve, but it is poor. Working here is considered the same as working in 3rd world environments according to some employers.


Here is another photo to give you an idea of the odd mix of houses here in Gameti. There are some little old (and functioning) log houses next to these 70's suburbain type houses. Some are in OK shape, but many have a dilapatated wall or stair case. And everyone has trucks. Big ass trucks with snowmobiles on the back. I was nearly run down by an elder on snowmobile on my way to the store today. "Look out honky" I swear I hear her thinking.

There is 1 store in town that sells a few overpriced pieces of produce, mockasens from china (!??!?) and lots and lots of junk food. Sadly, it's no wonder diabetes is common.

On my way back, a truck stopped beside me and a big man with his 2 friends (or kids?) inside. He asked me how I liked the weather. Ha! Not only am I white, but I'm wearing a jacket with a hood like Kenny from south park. Seriously. How do you think I like it? "Great" I managed to say once I pulled the frozen layers of fleece away from my face. We chit chatted a minute, no probably 1/2 a minute or less, and then he said maybe next time he was in town I could make him a coffee?? Every feminist cell in my body cringed. I made some snide comment and then he said if my husband wouldnt mind. "You married?" he said. To which I replied with a definate "Un hun." and walked off.

Guess every town in Canada you'll find a douchbag in some big truck looking for action...

3 comments:

  1. it's always fun being the new girl in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i think your always the 'new girl in town' when you're white!

    ps- in reference to your blog: i always spell february wrong (is that even it??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Katie - Keep on nursin' !

    Doug.

    ReplyDelete