This is me with what felt like 2 sheep dogs on my hands. Only quieter. In fact they were massive mittens that I borrowed from Lola, our guide, to go dog sledding on my second night in Yellowknife. After chowing down on quite possibly 1 of the best burger's I've ever had, a real buffalo burger, we went off on a sled lead by a dozen dogs straight into the Northern lights. Contrary to my preconceptions, the dogs weren't all huskies, they weren't big and really hairy, and nobody said "mush, mush". *FYI - Mush came from the french word "march" as in walk. At least that's what our french guide told us *
Mush or no mush, I was not disappointed. The dogs howled and pulled at their chains to get running from the moment they saw the sleigh. As soon as the brake came off so were we. Like a bat out of hell too. I suppose when your in -20/-30 degree temperature all the time any excuse to warm up works. Even if it is lugging around a bunch of lazy humans.
The lights were pretty cool as you would imagine. Green and bright and dancing in the cold clear night sky. I would tell you what I've learned they actually are, but it's kinda like finding out there's no Santa Clause. Some small element of magic is stripped away by reducing them to their physics rather than taking in their whole wonder.
Wow. Have you told them what a pro you are with three folks in the sled? ;-)
ReplyDeletehahaha -- Holly's comment is awesome!
ReplyDeleteKatie -- what an amazing adventure -- I'm excited to live vicariously through you as I've always wanted to head up north (though I admit the cold scares the beejeezus out of me :P we just snowshoed up a mountain here in Van and it was only like -10 and I was sooooo cold :-( )
There's no bad weather just bad gear some say and I'm beginning to believe it. So long as you bundle up your fine. But I'm definately out in the middle of no where. Food has to be ordered from Yellowknife and flown in!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes Holly I told them about toboganing :P
There was no bailing this trip however..