This is the "highway" I took from Yellowknife to Gameti. The whole snowy, bumpy 200 kms in a VW station wagon loaded down with weights, food and 3 nurses headed to the great Canadian bush for 10 weeks. It's only open a couple months a year, when the ice is 8 feet deep. Although we did see some unnerving pylons along the way that appeared to be wet. It took us 3 & 1/2 hours on a beautiful sunny day and we saw maybe a dozen other vehicles (all of them trucks), and not much else.
The opening of the ice highway is an exciting time for these dry communities that usually rely on bush flights to get in and out. Now is when they stock up on party supplies for the year. Hence the need for trucks. Apparently the people here drink enough to make Nova Scotians seem like nuns so they must need a LOT of booze.
The opening of the ice highway is an exciting time for these dry communities that usually rely on bush flights to get in and out. Now is when they stock up on party supplies for the year. Hence the need for trucks. Apparently the people here drink enough to make Nova Scotians seem like nuns so they must need a LOT of booze.
It wasn't actually as bumpy as it seems in the crappy little video I posted. Lets just say I'll leave the filming up to my roommates :)
Notice the ice on the window. If I wanted to see out, I literally had to thaw it with my hand first.
No comments:
Post a Comment