Sunday, April 12, 2009
White Sugar and Vodka
So truth be told, I’ve been uninspired lately. I work an 8 hour day in the clinic (with a late night call back a couple times a week), come home and go for a jog, walk or ski with my co-workers/preceptors. I make some chow, do some research and pass out. Wake up, rinse, repeat. Tuesday and Thursday is vollyball night where I go get my ass kicked in a grubby old gym with the few other adults in town who play sports. On the weekends we usually go for a long ski or snowmobile ride and sometimes watch a movie with the school teachers (ie. the other white folks).
This weekend is the last weekend the ice road’s open so half of Gameti has gone to party in Rae, the Vagas of the North, or shop in Yellowknife, New York of the North. When the end of the week came and it was 10pm and I was hanging out in my apartment screwing around on the internet, alone, I was wishing I had bummed a ride with someone to Yellowknife, or anywhere; anywhere outside of Gameti. I’ve been here 6 weeks now with 4 left. It’s not bad I know. Considering how much work I have to do at the Health Centre, 4 weeks is nothing. But when I think about how long till I get to go out for a beer, do my own grocery shopping or just hang out with friends, it feels like forever.
I’ve been trying to make friends here, but it’s tough. When I asked what people do for fun here I was told “drink, smoke and have sex”. That would certainly explain the high population rates. Believe it or not, I have no problem with drinking, smoking or having sex, but that’s not exactly what I had in mind. Ice fishing, drumming, dancing perhaps? Something that’s less likely to get me in trouble. No such luck with the locals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

so i'm here smoking and drinking beer by myself, there may or may not be a little bit of wallowing in loneliness going on here. so yea, i kinda know how you feel. hopefully it'll make you feel better to know that you've got friends all over the country thinking about you and how awesome you are to be taking on such a crazy adventure. you, katie, are one awesome lady and i love every inch of you. don't let yourself get sucked into the temporary feeling of desolation, you know it will pass and when everything is all said and done you will have this experience to remember and will inevitably be a more awesome person because of it.
ReplyDeleteha! can you tell i'm drunk. i should have emailed this. oh well!!!!
xoxoxoxoxxx
Char Bear I love you, drunk, sober, whatever!! Thanks for the words of love and wisdom.... those temporary feelings of desolation are usually just that.. temporary. In fact they've passed already and I hope once your hangover's gone, yours will have too ;)
ReplyDeleteps- i love your blog and i'm gonna post a links list 1 of these days...
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo